American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- v. To cut off the edge or corner of; bevel.
- v. To cut a groove in; flute.
- n. A flat surface made by cutting off the edge or corner of a block of wood or other material.
- n. A furrow or groove, as in a column.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In carpentry, a groove or furrow.
- n. A bevel or slope; the corner of anything originally rightangled cut away so as to make an angle with the sides which form it. Also chamfering.
- In carpentry, to cut a furrow in; flute; channel.—2. To cut or grind in a sloping manner, as the edge of anything square, so as to form a bevel.
- n. woodworking, engineering, drafting, CAD an obtuse-angled relief or cut at an edge added for a finished appearance and to break sharp edges
- v. transitive to cut off the edge or corner of something; to bevel
- v. transitive to cut a groove in something; to flute
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. The surface formed by cutting away the arris, or angle, formed by two faces of a piece of timber, stone, etc.
- v. (Carp.) To cut a furrow in, as in a column; to groove; to channel; to flute.
- v. To make a chamfer on.
- n. two surfaces meeting at an angle different from 90 degrees
- v. cut a furrow into a columns
- v. cut a bevel on; shape to a bevel
- Probably back-formation from chamfering, from French chanfrein, bevelled edge, from past participle of Old French chanfreindre, to bevel : chant, edge (from Latin canthus, iron tire; see cant1) + fraindre, to break (from Latin frangere; see bhreg- in Indo-European roots). (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“A chamfer is a surface produced by cutting away an arris.”
“i want to figure out the code behind drafting of lines, polylines, and all drawing elements and other features such as chamfer, fillets, many more features that i can't recollect now. regards, Ben please email me at sundar. b.maniatgmail.com”
“i want to figure out the code behind drafting of lines, polylines, and all drawing elements and other features such as chamfer, fillets, many more features that i can't recollect now.”
“BTW, I always trim for length and chamfer for every load.”
“Might also chamfer the edges just a little with a file.”
“Mine had a chamfer, a fillet, and a few odd channels.”
“But it's also got a potentially crotch-savaging homemade leather saddle that would make Eric "The Chamferer" Murray chamfer out his own eyeballs in horror:”
“Slightly chamfer the risers at the cross-grain end.”
“Slightly chamfer the steps at the cross-grain end.”
“Which maximum cutting speed results when using a 16 mm chamfer mill at a spindle rotational speed of 12000 min-1? known: unknown:”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘chamfer’.
Interesting, there is a traditional vocabulary of an Ukrainian, that differs from vocabulary of average American. It would be nice to explore it.
Decorative trims and moldings and their elements, from room-scale to whole-building-scale, including, of course, ovolo.
with potential for the labiodental nasal
Wordnik is organized as columns.
What a row!
"A new word created by removing an affix from an already existing word, as vacuum clean from vacuum cleaner, or by removing what is mistakenly thought to be an affix, as pea from the earlier Englis...
I'm always entertained by the terms @immerito tweets using the hashtag #termsfromtoday. As best I can tell, the tag emerged in mid 2011 after a brief flirtation with an alternate hashtag form. You'...
but now they're not because I looked them up. In cases of polysemy or homography, *of course* it was the oddest meaning that stumped me. ;)
Shamelessly ripped off from this site and others (to be named hereinafter). (Fair warning: for my own edification, I may add definitions/comments from the site, but you might want to just go there ...
A list of words whose meanings I am learning, either because a) I don't know the meaning b) I know the meaning, but could stand to better appreciate certain inflections or secondary meanings or c) ...
Terms used in Zoology
Terms used in botany
Looking for tweets for chamfer.