from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of various European beetles of the family Scarabaeidae, especially Melolontha melolontha, which is destructive to plants.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any of the large European beetles from the genus Melolontha that are destructive to vegetation.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A beetle of the genus Melolontha (esp. Melolontha vulgaris) and allied genera; -- called also May bug, chafer, or dorbeetle.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The popular name of a very common lamellicorn beetle of Europe, Melolontha vulgaris. Also called May-beetle, May-bug, dor-beetle, and dor-bug.
- n. Any one of various similar or related beetles.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. any of various large European beetles destructive to vegetation as both larvae and adult
Possibly cock1 + chafer.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)