from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A beginning or first attempt; hence, a first appearance before the public, as of an actor or public speaker.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Beginning; first attempt or appearance; first step: used specifically of a first appearance in society, or before the public, as that of an actor or an actress on the stage.
- n. In chess, same as opening, 9.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. make one's debut
- v. appear for the first time in public
- v. present for the first time to the public
- n. the presentation of a debutante in society
- n. the act of beginning something new
Borrowing from French début, from débuter ("begin”, “start”, “lead off"). (Wiktionary)
Sorry, no example sentences found.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.