American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. One who achieves unexpected support and success as a political candidate, typically during a party's convention.
- n. A little-known, unexpectedly successful entrant, as in a horserace.
- n. idiomatic, politics A candidate who is nominated unexpectedly, without previously having been discussed or considered as a likely choice.
- n. rare An unexpected success.
- n. a political candidate who is not well known but could win unexpectedly
- n. a racehorse about which little is known
- Originally an allusion to an unknown horse winning a race, as used in an 1831 novel The Young Duke by Benjamin Disraeli. (Wiktionary)
“Curley’s old mouth pouted contemptuously as she considered them: John with his irascibility, his pomposity and his moments of sheer obstinacy; Paul lathering and shouting and making an exhibition of himself; and now the dark horse Mike, who had never really wanted anything before.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘dark horse’.
cat-o-nine-tails, snake in the grass, puppy love, white elephant, crocodile tears, monkey business, keep the wolf fro..., culture vulture, black sheep of th..., scapegoat, ugly duckling, swan song and 260 more...
Found Phrases I like. 2 or 3 words.
the majority of these will be placed into more categorically specific lists.
goto phrases (more than 3 words)
catastrophic failure, gut-wrenching, programming paradigm, supermassive blac..., tangent space, renewable energy, design pattern, deceptively awesome, allegorical super..., emotional truth, ghosts of departe..., inflection point and 951 more...
I'm looking for compounds or phrases where the character of an animal is essential to the meaning, yet the term is usable in general conversation.
EXPECTED vs. SURPRISE
Hello, and Welcome™! Come and visit our most diverse land of our Animalesque™ adventures. Here at Noah's Park™ we have Virtually All You'd Ever Want To See™. An experience that is related to ani...
W o r d s.
Looking for tweets for dark horse.