from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A wild Asian dog (Cuon alpinus) having reddish fur and usually hunting with a pack.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An Asian wild dog, Cuon alpinus.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A fierce, wild dog (Canis Dukhunensis), found in the mountains of India. It is remarkable for its propensity to hunt the tiger and other wild animals in packs.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A kind of East Indian dog, the wild dog of the Deccan, Canis dukkunensis.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. fierce wild dog of the forests of central and southeast Asia that hunts in packs
Perhaps from Kannada tōḷa, wolf.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)