American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. An emotional state characterized by anxiety, depression, or unease.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In pathology, impatience under affliction; a state of dissatisfaction, restlessness, fidgeting, or inquietude.
- n. A state of feeling unwell or unhappy; a feeling of emotional and mental discomfort and suffering from restlessness, malaise, depression or anxiety.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Med.) Impatience under affliction; morbid restlessness; dissatisfaction; the fidgets.
- n. abnormal depression and discontent
- From Ancient Greek δυσφορία (dusphoria, "excessive pain"), from δύσφορος (dusphoros, "grievous"), from δυσ- (dus-, "bad") + φέρω (phero, "I bear, carry"). (Wiktionary)
- New Latin, from Greek dusphoriā, distress, from dusphoros, hard to bear : dus-, dys- + -phoros, -phorous. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Gender identity disorder (GID)/gender dysphoria is a little known but much misunderstood congenital intersex condition, which is clinically diagnosable and treatable.”
“If people were aware that gender dysphoria is experienced by at least 1 in 500 people, transgenderism would increasingly be seen for what it is – a natural variation in gendering.”
“When associated with irritability, this mood combination is termed dysphoria 105.”
“However, the exact meaning of the word dysphoria seems to be rather vague, and its use is often confusing.”
“On one of his file cabinets, he’s tacked up a flyer from a British parents’ advocacy group that reads: “Gender dysphoria is increasingly understood … as having biological origins,” and describes “small parts of the brain” as “progressing along different pathways.””
“Furthermore, by maintaining the illusion that gender dysphoria is incredibly rare, gender-repartists such as Zucker can assure parents that it’s extremely unlikely their gender-variant child will become “transsexual” and suggest that all the child needs is some minor gender-repairs.”
“The majority of Lesbians and gays have refused to go into hiding or buy the crap which conflates same-sex attraction with gender "dysphoria".”
“In addition, a new diagnostic category—temper dysregulation disorder with dysphoria TDD—has been proposed for the 2013 edition of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, or DSM-V, the psychiatric bible relied upon by doctors and insurance companies.”
“Oxfordshire PCT has been operating what amounts to a blanket funding ban of core surgical procedures for gender dysphoria treatment.”
“Please show your support and sign this petition requesting that Oxfordshire PCT addresses the inconsistencies in its gender dysphoria policy.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘dysphoria’.
These come from gamma meditation ,I think.
"Luciferous Logolepsy is a collection of over 9,000 obscure English words. Though the definition of an 'English' word might seem to be straightforward, it is not. There exist so many adopted, deriv...
Down in the dumps, feeling blue? Here, then, is a list for you...
Words taken from Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace.
mostly from magoosh
cool mint antiseptic
Words to remember from DFW's "Infinite Jest"
"Sick" is probably not the right word, but this is where I put diseases, problems and abnormalities until I find a better way to sort them.
A somewhat discriminatory list of words and phrases collected for their euphonic or arcane appeal, interesting etymology, or concise definition of an otherwise unnamed phenomenon or concept.
Looking for tweets for dysphoria.