from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n.pl. The projecting overhang at the lower edge of a roof.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The underside of a roof that extends beyond the external walls of a building
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n.pl. The edges or lower borders of the roof of a building, which overhang the walls, and cast off the water that falls on the roof.
- n.pl. Brow; ridge.
- n.pl. Eyelids or eyelashes.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Edge; border; margin.
- Specifically The lower edge of a roof; that part of the roof of a building which projects beyond the wall and sheds the water that falls on the roof; hence, figuratively, any projecting rim.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the overhang at the lower edge of a roof
Middle English eves, from Old English efes.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)