from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An apartment or dwelling situated on the roof of a building.
- n. A residence, often with a terrace, on the top floor or floors of a building.
- n. A structure housing machinery on the roof of a building.
- n. A shed or sloping roof attached to the side of a building or wall.
- n. Sports The sloping roof that rises from the inner wall to the outer wall surrounding three sides of the court in court tennis, off which the ball is served.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An outhouse or other structure (especially one with a sloping roof) attached to the outside wall of a building.
- n. An apartment or suite on the top floor of a tall building, especially one that is expensive or luxurious.
- n. Any of the sloping roofs at the side of a real tennis court.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Leaning; overhanging.
- n. A shed or roof sloping from the main wall or building, as over a door or window; a lean-to. Also figuratively.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To provide with a penthouse or sloping roof; shelter or protect by means of a shed sloping from the wall, or of something resembling it.
- n. A shed or sloping roof projecting from a main wall or the side or end of a building, and sometimes constructed over a door or window to protect it from the weather; an appentice. See also cut under appentice.
- n. Anything resembling a penthouse, or occupying the same relative position with regard to something else.
- n. In artillery, a frame structure sometimes used to protect a sea-coast gun-carriage from continuous severe weather: so made that it can quickly be put in place or removed.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an apartment located on the top floors of a building
As a result of this gradual demotion to lower levels on the world’s luxury meters, the word penthouse may no longer suffice for that knock-me-out top-floor apartment.
Grosvenor says the penthouse is selling for HK$25,000 a square foot or about HK$208. 6 million (US$26. 9 million).
Knight Frank The penthouse is listed with Knight Frank, starting at 19.7 million Swiss francs ($20.2 million).
Knight Frank With five ensuite bedrooms, a hammam and Jacuzzi, a private elevator, numerous balconies and terraces, and a Grand Piano as standard, the penthouse is made for a king.
Yes | No | Report from hawg daddy wrote 34 weeks 1 hour ago penthouse is the way to go
On the market less than one-week, this Lincoln Square penthouse is priced at a staggering $34.5 million.
Thornsett Group The Leopold Village penthouse is one of six luxury ultra-modern penthouse triplexes on the ninth, 10th and 11th floors of the new Leopold Village development, in the heart of Brussels.
Thornsett Group The penthouse is based 10 minutes from Brussels Zaventem airport, while the Eurostar and Thalys station are less than 1.2 miles away.
Thornsett Group The penthouse is flooded with natural light from the double height ceilings and floor-to-ceiling windows.
Thornsett Group The Leopold Village penthouse is on the market for € 1.05 million ($1.7 million) through Thonsett Group, the developers.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.