from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Of such a nature relatively to some other associated body or bodies, as to tend to the negative pole of a voltaic battery, in electrolysis, while the associated body tends to the positive pole; -- the converse or correlative of electro-negative.
- adj. Hence: Positive; metallic; basic; -- distinguished from negative, nonmetallic, or acid.
- n. A body which passes to the negative pole in electrolysis.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Attracted by bodies negatively electrified, or by the negative pole of a voltaic battery.
- Assuming positive potential when in contact with another substance, as zinc in a voltaic cell.
- n. A body which in electrolysis appears at the negative pole of a voltaic battery. Potassium is the most electropositive of all known bodies. See electrolysis.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. having a positive charge
Sorry, no etymologies found.