from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Anthropology Marriage within a particular group in accordance with custom or law.
- n. Botany Fertilization resulting from pollination among flowers of the same plant.
- n. Biology Reproduction by the fusion of gametes of similar ancestry.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The practice of marrying or requiring to marry within one’s own ethnic, religious, or social group.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Marriage only within the tribe; a custom restricting a man in his choice of a wife to the tribe to which he belongs; -- opposed to
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Marriage within the tribe: a custom among some savage peoples: opposed to exogamy.
- n. In botany, the fusion or coalescence of two or more female gametes.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. marriage within one's own tribe or group as required by custom or law
endo- + -gamy (Wiktionary)