from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. See polecat.
- n. The fur of this animal.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The European polecat
- n. The skin of the polecat
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A vetch.
- n. A word found in the Authorized Version of the Bible, representing different Hebrew originals. In Isaiah xxviii. 25, 27, it means the black aromatic seeds of Nigella sativa, still used as a flavoring in the East. In Ezekiel iv. 9, the Revised Version now reads spelt.
- n. The European polecat; also, its fur.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To fix; fasten; set up.
- To transfix; pierce.
- n. A vetch.
- n. In zoology, same as fitchew.
- n. In furriery, the dressed fur of the fitchew; the prepared skin of the polecat. It makes a fine, soft, and warm fur, but the natural odor is difficult to remove.
- n. Same as fitch-brush.
- n. A spoonful.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. dark brown mustelid of woodlands of Eurasia that gives off an unpleasant odor when threatened
Nick Corrigan, 41, a management consultant: 'At home, I've got mink, racoon and fitch, which is like a ferret.
The name probably relates to a poor translation of the name for the European polecat, which is a relative of the fisher and is called the fitch ferret, fichet or fitche.
Report Abuse the real question is, does fitch and his style really pose a legitimate threat to gsp? the one who will beat gsp is either going to be a great wrestler with good powerful hands (kos) or a great striker with ko power, amazing takedown defense and the ability to stand up or sweep with gsp on top. fitch is neither of those things. gsp would pull a "fitch" on jon fitch. nobody wants to see that again.
Steroid Popping (I know they do), tree trunk armed, hollipostale and fitch (those gay looking pink shirts) wearin 'jocks.
Other ultra-rich materials included coats trimmed with fitch fur, alligator belts, sable stoles, silk chiffon, cashmere and calfskin.
The actors cannot be blamed, though many of them look as though they would be more at ease modeling the latest clothing line in an abercrombie and fitch catalog.
I agree with Kevin about the poster as well, at least to me a 20 year old male it reminds me of the abercrombie and fitch models i see as i walk the mall, albeit a bit more pale.
Yes | No | Report from B. fitch wrote 2 years 5 days ago
(No offence Diplo) 10 February 2008 21: 35 doug fitch said ...
A wonderful article by Howard, wasted on a readership so indoctrinated by the writings of fitch-the comments section said much for the quality of its readership, those that wrote in supporting his view are rolled aside by the most hateful of remarks - one even suggesting that perhaps he should move away from that paper.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.