American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. See polecat.
- n. The fur of this animal.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A vetch. In the authorized version of the Bible the word is used to translate two different Hebrew words (Ezek. iv. 9; Isa. xxviii. 25-27). The former is probably spelt, a grain resembling wheat, and is so rendered in the revised version; the latter, the black cumin (Nigella sativa), as stated in the margin of the revised version.
- n. In zoology, same as fitchew.
- n. In furriery, the dressed fur of the fitchew; the prepared skin of the polecat. It makes a fine, soft, and warm fur, but the natural odor is difficult to remove.
- n. Same as fitch-brush.
- To fix; fasten; set up.
- To transfix; pierce.
- n. A spoonful.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Bot.), obsolete A vetch.
- n. (Bot.) A word found in the Authorized Version of the Bible, representing different Hebrew originals. In Isaiah xxviii. 25, 27, it means the black aromatic seeds of Nigella sativa, still used as a flavoring in the East. In Ezekiel iv. 9, the Revised Version now reads
- n. (Zoöl.) The European polecat; also, its fur.
- n. dark brown mustelid of woodlands of Eurasia that gives off an unpleasant odor when threatened
- Middle English fiche, from Middle Dutch vitsche, visse. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Nick Corrigan, 41, a management consultant: 'At home, I've got mink, racoon and fitch, which is like a ferret.”
“The name probably relates to a poor translation of the name for the European polecat, which is a relative of the fisher and is called the fitch ferret, fichet or fitche.”
“Report Abuse the real question is, does fitch and his style really pose a legitimate threat to gsp? the one who will beat gsp is either going to be a great wrestler with good powerful hands (kos) or a great striker with ko power, amazing takedown defense and the ability to stand up or sweep with gsp on top. fitch is neither of those things. gsp would pull a "fitch" on jon fitch. nobody wants to see that again.”
“Steroid Popping (I know they do), tree trunk armed, hollipostale and fitch (those gay looking pink shirts) wearin 'jocks.”
“Other ultra-rich materials included coats trimmed with fitch fur, alligator belts, sable stoles, silk chiffon, cashmere and calfskin.”
“The actors cannot be blamed, though many of them look as though they would be more at ease modeling the latest clothing line in an abercrombie and fitch catalog.”
“I agree with Kevin about the poster as well, at least to me a 20 year old male it reminds me of the abercrombie and fitch models i see as i walk the mall, albeit a bit more pale.”
“Yes | No | Report from B. fitch wrote 2 years 5 days ago”
“(No offence Diplo) 10 February 2008 21: 35 doug fitch said ...”
“A wonderful article by Howard, wasted on a readership so indoctrinated by the writings of fitch-the comments section said much for the quality of its readership, those that wrote in supporting his view are rolled aside by the most hateful of remarks - one even suggesting that perhaps he should move away from that paper.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘fitch’.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
"Luciferous Logolepsy is a collection of over 9,000 obscure English words. Though the definition of an 'English' word might seem to be straightforward, it is not. There exist so many adopted, deriv...
Anything to do with the fur trade.
Looking for tweets for fitch.