from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A minor malfunction, mishap, or technical problem; a snag: a computer glitch; a navigational glitch; a glitch in the negotiations.
- n. A false or spurious electronic signal caused by a brief, unwanted surge of electric power.
- n. Astronomy A sudden change in the period of rotation of a neutron star.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A problem affecting function; a bug; an imperfection; a quirk
- n. A bug or an exploit.
- n. A genre of experimental electronic music of the 1990s, characterized by a deliberate use of sonic artifacts that would normally be viewed as unwanted noise.
- v. To experience an intermittent, unexpected, malfunction
- v. To perform an exploit or recreate a bug while playing a video game.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A fault or defect in a system, plan, or machine.
- n. A brief surge or interruption in the voltage in an electrical circuit or device.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a fault or defect in a computer program, system, or machine
Although the OED states that the etymology of "glitch" is unknown, it probably comes from the Yiddish glitsh
Usually, news of the fault spreads like wildfire, and huge queues build up until the glitch is put right or the machine runs out of notes.
The glitch is obviously ridiculous as a cover story, but I can't quite believe Amazon "caved in" to demands of some Focus in the Family type group either.
A computer glitch is the apparent cause of the commuter train wreck in D.C. The president talked about health care on ABC last night and got some tough questions.
In “Allison”, what in fact was happening – although the writers tried mightily to keep it ambiguous – was fairly obvious: her glitch from the car bomb caused her to crosslink her self-awareness with her memories of the woman she was modeled after, and then channel those memories through her human emulation mode.
My only glitch is that I also have a Mac, and while InfoSelect works just fine under VMWare, it would be nice to have a native Mac version.
The only glitch is that after you get your FM-3 you must enter Mexico within a certain time period.
Oh. Well, surely this membership glitch is an anomaly in the glorious track record of transnational non-governmental organizations, which responsible nations are actively correcting:
The only glitch is when gladinet loads at work, sometimes it leaves a ghost tab in my task bar.
The only glitch is when you have a short post, it will say “Click to read more” anyway.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.