from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- intransitive v. To commit fornication.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Shaped like or arch or vault; resembling a fornix.
- v. To commit fornication.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Vaulted like an oven or furnace; arched.
- adj. Arching over; overarched.
- intransitive v. To commit fornication; to have unlawful sexual intercourse.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Arched; vaulted or arched over like an oven or furnace, concave within and convex without; hollowed out underneath.
- In bot.: Overarched with fornices, as the throat of the corolla of the forget-me-not.
- Overarching: as, a fornicate appendage. Also forniciform.
- To have illicit sexual intercourse: said of an unmarried person.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. have sex without being married
Late Latin fornicārī, fornicāt-, from fornix, fornic-, vault, vaulted cellar, brothel; see gwher- in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Latin fornix ("arch, vault; brothel") Arch as in a passageway, it was customary for courtesans of the era to wait for their customers out of the rain under these archways. (Wiktionary)