from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Able to swim freely; not sessile or attached: the free-swimming larva of the oyster.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Swimming in the open sea; -- said of certain marine animals.
- adj. able to swim about; not attached to a stationary object; -- of aquatic animals.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Swimming freely: said of any aquatic animal that is not fixed, and particularly of those which are attached at some period of their lives and free at, another: as, the free-swimming embryo of a cirriped; the free-swimming adult of a crinoid.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. (of animals) able to swim about; not attached
Sorry, no etymologies found.