from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A person who pillages and plunders, especially a pirate.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An adventurer who pillages, plunders or wages ad-hoc war on other nations.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One who plunders or pillages without the authority of national warfare; a member of a predatory band; a pillager; a buccaneer; a sea robber.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who wanders about in search of plunder; a robber; a pillager; a plunderer.
- n. Synonyms Marauder, etc. See robber.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. someone who takes spoils or plunder (as in war)
Dutch vrijbuiter, from vrijbuit, plunder : vrij, free; see prī- in Indo-European roots + buit, booty (from Middle Dutch būte, of Middle Low German origin).(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Calque of Dutch vrijbuiter (literally "free booty-er"), from vrij ("free") + buit ("booty") + -er ("agent"), whence also filibuster. (Wiktionary)