from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An apparatus for measuring gases.
- n. See gasholder.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any of various instruments used to measure the flow of gas through pipelines.
- n. A gasholder.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. An apparatus for holding and measuring of gas; in gas works, a huge iron cylinder closed at one end and having the other end immersed in water, in which it is made to rise or fall, according to the volume of gas it contains, or the pressure required.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In chem.:
- n. An instrument or apparatus intended to measure, collect, preserve, or mix different gases.
- n. An instrument for measuring the quantity of gas employed in any chemical experiment.
- n. A reservoir or storehouse for gas, especially for the ordinary illuminating gas produced in gas-works, which supplies the various pipes employed in lighting streets and houses.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a meter for measuring the amount of gas flowing through a particular pipe
- n. a large gas-tight spherical or cylindrical tank for holding gas to be used as fuel
French gazomètre : gaz, gas (from Dutch gas; see gas) + -mètre, -meter.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
gas + -meter (Wiktionary)