American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A dye used in microscopy as a biological stain and in medicine as a bactericide, fungicide, and anthelmintic.
- n. chemistry Also known as crystal violet, a chemical dye used in the Gram stain test, and is also a fungicide. Chemically: hexamethyl pararosaniline chloride, C25H30ClN3
- n. A violet colour similar to the gentian flower.
- adj. Having a violet colour similar to the gentian flower.
- n. a green crystal (violet in water) used as a dye or stain or bactericide or fungicide or anthelmintic or burn treatment
Sorry, no example sentences found.
These user-created lists contain the word ‘gentian violet’.
I work in a biochemistry research laboratory. Inventorying the chemical dye box, I found some beautiful names, which comprise the first 30-or-so words on this list.
Please comment if you kno...
Looking for tweets for gentian violet.