from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A dye used in microscopy as a biological stain and in medicine as a bactericide, fungicide, and anthelmintic.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Also known as crystal violet, a chemical dye used in the Gram stain test, and is also a fungicide. Chemically: hexamethyl pararosaniline chloride, C25H30ClN3
- n. A violet colour similar to the gentian flower.
- adj. Having a violet colour similar to the gentian flower.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a green crystal (violet in water) used as a dye or stain or bactericide or fungicide or anthelmintic or burn treatment
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.