from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The act or an instance of escaping: made a quick getaway.
- n. The start, as of a race.
- n. A place appropriate for a vacation.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A means of escape.
- n. The effecting of an escape.
- n. A vacation or holiday or the destination for one.
- adj. Pertaining to an escape, as in a vehicle or plans.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. rapid acceleration.
- n. a rapid escape (as by criminals).
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a rapid escape (as by criminals)
- n. the attribute of being capable of rapid acceleration
- v. run away from confinement
- v. escape potentially unpleasant consequences; get away with a forbidden action
- v. remove oneself from a familiar environment, usually for pleasure or diversion
In a business plan marked "personal and confidential" contained in a court file, they called it Oasis Ranch and stressed the need for privacy, exclusivity and security at what they described as a "getaway" and a "retreat."
Designed and built by hiveMODULAR partner Bryan Meyer and his wife, Anne Ryan, this little woodland getaway is a great example of how versatility makes small spaces livable.
All the years that we lived on the Oregon Coast, we used the house as a getaway from the horrible weather.
A must-have for those who are looking for a quite getaway from the hectic city life.
If you need a quick getaway from the hustle and bustle of the city Subic can be the place you need for a break.
Warren (Richard Dreyfuss) gets his hands on a bottle of Andy's "special drink" and, after a couple of swigs, turns a little spacey and begins to realize that Nancy and the gang's European getaway is no family vacation --- and she may never be coming back. —
This mountain getaway was settled in the 1850′s as a slow-paced health retreat, and it continues to be appealing to both families and retirees.
Visitors from Kandahar will be streaming in to take in the surroundings as a getaway from the city.
More than 2 million people are expected to pass through UK airports this weekend as travellers start the half-term getaway.
We really loved the overall idea and we think at this house as a perfect getaway from the stress and the commotion of modern living.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.