from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A light engineless aircraft designed to glide after being towed aloft or launched from a catapult.
- n. A swinging couch suspended from a vertical frame.
- n. A device that aids gliding.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any heavier-than-air aircraft optimised for unpowered flight; a sailplane.
- n. A pilot of glider aircraft.
- n. Anything that glides, especially an animal or aircraft.
- n. In the Game of Life cellular automaton, a particular configuration of five cells that recurs periodically at fixed offsets and appears to "walk" across the grid.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One who, or that which, glides.
- n. a heavier-than-air flying machine similar to an airplane, but without an engine. It is typically towed to a high altitide by a powered aircraft and then glides to earth with no other source of power.
- n. a type of seat used on porches or in gardens, which is mounted on a frame so that it may glide forward and backward.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who or that which glides.
- A Middle English variant of glitter.
- n. In aëronaut, a gliding-machine.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. aircraft supported only by the dynamic action of air against its surfaces
to glide + -er (Wiktionary)