from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Black dirt or soot, especially such dirt clinging to or ingrained in a surface.
- transitive v. To cover with black dirt or soot; begrime.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Dirt, grease, soot, etc. that is ingrained and difficult to remove.
- n. A genre of urban music that emerged in London, England, in the early 2000s, primarily a development of UK garage, dancehall, and hip hop.
- v. To begrime; to cake with dirt
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Foul matter; dirt, rubbed in; sullying blackness, deeply ingrained.
- transitive v. To sully or soil deeply; to dirt.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To cover with dirt; soil; befoul; begrime.
- n. Foul matter; dirt; soil; foulness, especially of a surface; smuttiness.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the state of being covered with unclean things
- v. make soiled, filthy, or dirty
She wore a bright yellow apron covered in grime and pizza toppings, and dried sarcasm stained her red sleeves.
Spotting a gem through decades of kitchen grime is only the first step.
"'Ow dirty I am, bein' around the w'y I 'ave," the woman said, as she sat down in a coffee-house, wiping the sleep and grime from the corners of her eyes.
That tarnish, sweat and grime is part of its history.
Nevermind that he was sweating buckets and covered in grime having just been to a hell of a scuffle involving a shrieking demon of a chav bride armed with a broken wine glass … Mind that kettle son – you could burn someone and i might not get my next pip. on July 3, 2009 at 8: 33 pm MarkUK
This was an answer to the US rap scene and became known as grime: not songs so much as soundscapes to urban life – Dizzee's staccato patter against a backdrop of police sirens, ringtones, radio static and video games.
Theater: Some of my old "partners in grime" from the down-and-dirty road are on the Internet:
Finally, walking in with his body covered with sweat and grime, is the same guy that has kept the clubbies late all spring.
A dirty street, a sidewalk spotted with old chewing gum and grime, is a turnoff for shoppers.
Emperor to hurry away from a dinner given to him by a king, perhaps, to get into his working clothes, and in grime and dirt, work like a common laborer.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.