from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Judaism The sanctuary inside the tabernacle in the Temple of Jerusalem, in which the Ark of the Covenant was kept.
- n. Eastern Orthodox Church The bema or sanctuary in a church.
- n. A place of awe.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Alternative spelling of Holy of Holies.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. the innermost apartment of the Jewish tabernacle or temple, where the ark was kept, and where no person entered, except the high priest once a year.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. (Judaism) sanctuary comprised of the innermost chamber of the Tabernacle in the temple of Solomon where the Ark of the Covenant was kept
- n. (figurative) something regarded as sacred or inviolable
Translation of Late Latin sānctum sānctōrum (ultimately translation of Hebrew qōdeš haq-qodāšîm) : sānctum, neuter of sānctus, holy + sānctōrum, neuter genitive pl. of sānctus.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Sorry, no example sentences found.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.