American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Judaism The sanctuary inside the tabernacle in the Temple of Jerusalem, in which the Ark of the Covenant was kept.
- n. Eastern Orthodox Church The bema or sanctuary in a church.
- n. A place of awe.
- n. alternative spelling of Holy of Holies.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. (Script.) the innermost apartment of the Jewish tabernacle or temple, where the ark was kept, and where no person entered, except the high priest once a year.
- n. (Judaism) sanctuary comprised of the innermost chamber of the Tabernacle in the temple of Solomon where the Ark of the Covenant was kept
- n. (figurative) something regarded as sacred or inviolable
- Translation of Late Latin sānctum sānctōrum (ultimately translation of Hebrew qōdeš haq-qodāšîm) : sānctum, neuter of sānctus, holy + sānctōrum, neuter genitive pl. of sānctus. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Campion was himself in the hall when he saw Patricia slip into the anteroom which led to Philip's private study, that holy of holies which even Florence treated with wholesome awe.”
“She was all that was pure and good, a holy of holies not lightly to be profaned even by what might possibly be the too ardent reverence of a devotee.”
“The life and character of Jesus Christ," says Dr. Schaff, "is the holy of holies in the history of the world.”
“The purification of the holy of holies and of the holy place being thus completed, the high priest laid his hands upon the head of the goat on which the lot "For Azazel" had fallen and confessed over it all the sins of the people.”
“And the Church of the Holy Sepulchre is nothing but recesses, one chapel after another, galleries up the walls, every square inch of floor space in this holy of holies heavily used and bitterly contested (hence the Moslem guards, who can be depended upon to treat each division of Christianity with equal scorn).”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘holy of holies’.
Due to my absolute ignorance of masonry and masonic terms, this list is shamelessly copied from this masonic dictionary.
Feel free to add words (as soon as I complete my transcription).
Looking for tweets for holy of holies.