from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The branch of art history that deals with the description, analysis, and interpretation of icons or iconic representations.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The study of icons in art or art history.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The discussion or description of portraiture or of representative images. Cf. iconography.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The science or art of representation by effigies or pictures.
- n. A description of statues, pictures, engravings, etc.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the branch of art history that studies visual images and their symbolic meaning (especially in social or political terms)
From Ancient Greek εἰκών ("icon") + -logy. (Wiktionary)