from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Nautical A spar forming a continuation of the bowsprit.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A spar attached to the outboard end of a bowsprit or flying jib boom with an additional stay to increase sail area.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. a spar or boom which serves as an extension of the bowsprit. It is sometimes extended by another spar called the flying jib boom
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Nautical, a spar run out from the extremity of the bowsprit and serving as a continuation of it. Beyond this is sometimes extended the flying-jib boom.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a spar that extends the bowsprit
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.