from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A small motor vehicle, such as a bus or van, that transports passengers on a route for a small fare.
- n. Archaic A nickel.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A small bus or minibus which typically operates service on a fixed route, sometimes scheduled.
- n. An unlicensed taxi cab.
- n. A shared-ride taxi.
- n. A small coin, a nickel.
- n. Very inexpensive.
- n. this sense?) A fraudulent arrangement whereby a broker who has direct access to an exchange executes trades on behalf of a broker who doesn't.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. a small bus or similar vehicle carrying passengers on a fixed route, used for public transport.
- n. A five-cent piece; a nickel.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a vehicle carrying many passengers; used for public transport
Origin unknown.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
In original sense, a 5-cent US coin (a nickel); use for taxis and buses due to these services originally charging 5 cents as fare. (Wiktionary)