from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of or relating to the zygomatic bone or the cheek.
- n. See zygomatic bone.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Pertaining to the cheek.
- n. The cheekbone, which forms a part of the lower edge of the orbit.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Of or pertaining to the region of the cheek bone, or to the malar bone; jugal.
- n. The cheek bone, which forms a part of the lower edge of the orbit; that arch of bone beneath the eye that forms the prominence of the cheek; also called the malar bone.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Of or pertaining to the cheek or cheek-bone.
- Of or pertaining to the zygoma; zygomatic; jugal: as, the malar arch.
- n. A membrane bone or splint-bone of the side of the head of higher vertebrates, entering into the composition of the zygoma or zygomatic arch, which connects the upper jaw or other part of the face with the squamosal or other parts about the ear; the jugal or jugal bone.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the arch of bone beneath the eye that forms the prominence of the cheek
New Latin mālāris, from Latin māla, cheekbone.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From modern Latin malaris, from Latin mala ("jaw, cheek-bone"). (Wiktionary)