American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Variant of manila.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A piece of ring-money such as was until recent times used for barter on the Guinea coast of Africa. These pieces are of copper or iron, of fixed weight, and in the present century have been manufactured in England for exportation to Africa. See
- n. In the game of solo, the seven of trumps, the highest card but one.
- n. See manila.
- n. A penannular armlet, mostly in bronze, copper or gold, which served as a form of money or barter coinage amongst certain West African peoples.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. See manila, manila hemp, manila paper.
- n. A ring worn upon the arm or leg as an ornament, especially among the tribes of Africa.
- n. A piece of copper of the shape of a horseshoe, used as money by certain tribes of the west coast of Africa.
- adj. Same as manila.
- n. a strong paper or thin cardboard with a smooth light brown finish made from e.g. Manila hemp
- From Spanish manilla ("bracelet"), from Catalan manilla ("bracelet, armring"); partly from Latin monīle ("a necklace, collar"), from Proto-Indo-European *mony- (“withers, crest, mane”); and partly from Frankish *mānili (“moon-shaped ornament”), from *māno (“moon”), from Proto-Germanic *mēnô (“moon”), from Proto-Indo-European *mḗh₁n̥s (“moon, month”), related to Old High German mânili ("moon-shaped ornament"). More at mane, moon. (Wiktionary)
“Why should he not play dummy manilla, which is a silent game.”
“Several kinds of the plantain tribe are cultivated for this purpose exclusively, the best known among them being the so-called manilla hemp, a plant largely grown in the Philippine Islands.”
“-- This furnishes the fiber known as manilla hemp, and is cultivated in the Philippine Islands for this product.”
“January 5, 2007 at 12: 23 am dell sucks ass. 5 hrs of phone hell to talk to some witch in manilla. cluelss as the tech guy they sent out to replace the keyboard who used no shit a screwdriver to pry off the top and damaged the whole laptop. the monkey in the us was as dumb as the bitch overseas. buy a mac.”
“When I got there they had the bedroom door tied shut with a 1 manilla rope.”
“Manilla ( manilla.com ) replaces that inbox (or shoebox) that's overflowing with bills, frequent flyer updates, magazine subscription renewals and other boring-but-important pieces of information.”
“I love Post-It notes of every kind -- the giant poster-sized ones you can put on the wall, the classic yellow square one, the jazzy neon upstarts, the little inch-high ones, the brilliant tab-sized ones you can put on manilla folders.”
“John then reached into his coat again and patted a thick manilla envelope that was pressed against his chest.”
“I carry a magnesium fire starter and manilla rope in my back pack.”
“It was my "swan song" as I made large manilla envelopes for my brother, my sister and myself.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘manilla’.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
Place names that have entered general speech. Toponyms that interest me in other ways are on Place Names Of Distinction
Iowa place names that are interesting and unique
Looking for tweets for manilla.