from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The often large, luxurious country house of a well-to-do person.
- n. A country estate with a substantial house.
- n. Chiefly British A house in a middle-class suburb.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A house, often larger and more expensive than average, in the countryside or on the coast, often used as a retreat.
- n. A family house, often semi-detached, in a middle class street.
- n. a country house, with farm buildings around a courtyard.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A country seat; a country or suburban residence of some pretensions to elegance.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A country-seat; a rural or suburban mansion; a country residence, properly one of some size and pretension, though the name is commonly misapplied, especially in Great Britain, to a cottage, or to one of the class of cheap houses built on speculation in the suburbs of a city; in old English law, a manor.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. Mexican revolutionary leader (1877-1923)
- n. detached or semidetached suburban house
- n. pretentious and luxurious country residence with extensive grounds
- n. country house in ancient Rome consisting of residential quarters and farm buildings around a courtyard
The word is from the Latin villa which together with via, a way, or more anciently ved andvella, Varro derives from veho, to carry, because the villa is the place to and from which things are carried.
He built himself a palace, which he called a villa, and which was the most fanciful of structures, and full of every beautiful object which rare taste and boundless wealth could procure, from undoubted
This villa is said to be the first of the 6 planned luxury residences in this exclusive area.
This villa is located in the West of Sweden and comes from Wingardhs design studio.
The villa is located in Western Minneapolis and it was designed for a couple and their two children who will certainly not get bored of these landscapes any time soon.
Located in Miami, Florida, this luxurious and intriguing villa is the former crib of Lenny Kravitz.
This particular villa is located on the beach of Kamala in Phuket, Thailand and is currently up for sale, listed at a cost of $8.66 million.
Located in Torslanda, Sweden, this country-side villa is anything but ordinary.
There are beautiful things here – the first account of the discovery of the skating rink in the depths of a ruined villa is unforgettable.
Four Communications The living area in this two-story 1970s villa is nearly 1,000 square meters.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.