from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of various swallows, such as the house martin or the purple martin.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any of various passerine birds of the family Hirundinidae, which also includes swallows, that catch insects whilst flying.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A perforated stone-faced runner for grinding.
- n. One of several species of swallows, usually having the tail less deeply forked than the tail of the common swallows.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An obsolete spelling of marten.
- n. Any swallow of the family Hirundinidæ; a martinet; a martlet.
- n. An ape.
- n. See the quotation.
- n. A tool for grinding or polishing stone.
- n. A shortened form of freemartin.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. United States actor and comedian (born in 1945)
- n. French bishop who is a patron saint of France (died in 397)
- n. any of various swallows with squarish or slightly forked tail and long pointed wings; migrate around Martinmas
- n. United States actress (1913-1990)
- n. United States singer (1917-1995)
Middle English martoune, probably from the name Martin.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)