from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The period marked by the natural and permanent cessation of menstruation, occurring usually between the ages of 45 and 55.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The ending of menstruation; the time in a woman's life when this happens.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The period of natural cessation of menstruation. See Change of life, under change.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The final cessation of the menses or monthly courses of women, which occurs normally between the ages of forty-five and fifty; the end of menstruation.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the time in a woman's life in which the menstrual cycle ends
New Latin mēnopausis : meno- + Greek pausis, pause; see pause.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Latin menopausis, from Ancient Greek ἔμμηνος ("monthly") + παῦσις ("pause"). Equivalent to meno- + -pause. (Wiktionary)