from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A person with whom one eats regularly, as in a military mess.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. an associate with whom one shares a mess (eating place) on a ship
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. An associate in a mess.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An associate in a mess, especially in a ship's mess; one who eats ordinarily at the same table with another.
- n. In zoology, a commensal.
- n. In botany, same as messmate-tree.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. (nautical) an associate with whom you share meals in the same mess (as on a ship)
Sorry, no etymologies found.