from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A theoretical primate postulated to bridge the evolutionary gap between the anthropoid apes and humans. Not in scientific use.
- n. Something lacking that is needed to complete a series.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A hypothetical primate once thought necessary to explain a perceived evolutionary gap between apes and humans.
- n. Any sought-after or valuable intermediary figure or position.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. hypothetical organism formerly thought to be intermediate between apes and human beings
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.