from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The state of being behind in the fulfillment of obligations or of being overdue in payment.
- n. A payment owed.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A condition of being in arrears.
- n. An item that is in arrears, as periodic payments on a debt or for taxes.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. That which remains unpaid and overdue, after payment of a part; arrears.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The state or condition of being behindhand or in arrears.
- n. Arrears; amount or amounts outstanding or overdue; any sum of money remaining unpaid after previous payment of a part.
Old French arierage ("detriment, legal prejudice") (Wiktionary)