from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A failure to attain a specified amount or level; a shortage.
- n. The amount by which a supply falls short of expectation, need, or demand.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An instance of not meeting a quota or of having an insufficient amount.
- n. The amount by which a quota is missed; the amount missing.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the property of being an amount by which something is less than expected or required
From to fall short (Wiktionary)