from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A large high frilly cap with a full crown, worn indoors by women in the 18th and early 19th centuries.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Alternative form of mob cap.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A plain cap or headdress for women or girls; especially, one tying under the chin by a very broad band, generally of the same material as the cap itself.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A cap with a bag-shaped or puffy crown and a broad band and frills.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. large high frilly cap with a full crown; formerly worn indoors by women
Probably mob, mobcap (possibly from Dutch mopmuts, cap : obsolete Dutch mop-, to cover up + muts, cap) + cap1.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)