from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A narrowly avoided collision involving two or more aircraft, ships, boats, or motor vehicles.
- n. A missile strike that is extremely close to but not directly on target.
- n. Something that fails by a very narrow margin: Her campaign for the Senate was a near miss.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. a miss which was nearly a hit or collision
- n. a scenario which ends safely but might well have ended in disaster
- n. an attempt which fails narrowly; a performance which falls just short of a certain benchmark
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an accidental collision that is narrowly avoided
Blend of near thing and miss1.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)