from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- prep. From within to the outside of: got out of the car.
- prep. From a given condition: came out of her trance.
- prep. From an origin, source, or cause: made out of wood; did it out of spite.
- prep. In, especially intermittently in: works out of the main office.
- prep. In a position or situation beyond the range, boundaries, limits, or sphere of: The plane flew out of sight.
- prep. In a state or position away from the expected or usual: out of practice; out of touch with reality.
- prep. From among: five out of six votes.
- prep. In or into a condition of no longer having: We're out of coffee. We were tricked out of our savings.
- idiom out of it Informal Not aware of or participating in a particular group, pursuit, or trend.
- idiom out of it Informal Disoriented or inebriated.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- prep. From the inside to the outside of ; having emerged from.
- prep. Not part of.
- prep. With the motivation of.
- prep. Without; no longer in possession of; not having more; divested of.
- prep. Not in a customary or desired state.
- prep. Expressing a fraction or a ratio.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adv. a phrase which may be considered either as composed of an adverb and a preposition, each having its appropriate office in the sentence, or as a compound preposition. Considered as a preposition, it denotes, with verbs of movement or action, from the interior of; beyond the limit: from; hence, origin, source, motive, departure, separation, loss, etc.; -- opposed to
inor into; also with verbs of being, the state of being derived, removed, or separated from. Examples may be found in the phrases below, and also under Vocabulary words; as, out of breath; out of countenance.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adv. motivated by
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.