from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To act (a dramatic role) with unnecessary exaggeration.
- intransitive v. To exaggerate a role; overplay.
- intransitive v. To act over and above what is required; overdo in acting.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To act in an exaggerated manner.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- transitive v. To act or perform to excess; to exaggerate in acting.
- transitive v. To act upon, or influence, unduly.
- intransitive v. To act more than is necessary; to go to excess in action.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To act so that the acting is overdone; act (a part) in an extravagant or unnatural manner.
- To over-influence; act upon unduly.
- To act more than is necessary.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. exaggerate one's acting
over- + act (Wiktionary)