from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A light, usually small umbrella carried as protection from the sun.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A small light umbrella used as protection from the sun
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A kind of small umbrella used by women as a protection from the sun.
- transitive v. To shade as with a parasol.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A light umbrella carried by women to shield their faces from the sun's rays; a sunshade.
- To shade with or as with a parasol; shelter from the sun's rays; supply with a parasol.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a handheld collapsible source of shade
French, from Italian parasole : parare, to shield (from Latin parāre, to prepare) + sole, sun (from Latin sōl).(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From French parasol, from Italian parasole, from para- ("to shield") + sole ("sun") (Wiktionary)