from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An intense battle fought in close contact by troops arranged in a predetermined formation.
- n. A fiercely waged battle or struggle between opposing forces.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A hostile engagement involving sustained, full-scale fighting between opposing forces in close combat.
- n. An intense, rancorous argument or confrontation.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. one in which the armies are previously drawn up in form, with a regular disposition of the forces.
- transitive v. a general battle; a battle in which the hostile forces have fixed positions; -- in distinction from a skirmish.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a fierce battle fought in close combat between troops in predetermined positions at a chosen time and place
Sorry, no etymologies found.