from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- interj. Used to indicate a sudden vanishing: The magician waved a wand, and poof! The birds disappeared!
- n. Offensive Slang Used as a disparaging term for an effeminate or homosexual male.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- interj. Onomatopoeia indicating a cloud of smoke or wind; caused by a deflating object, or a magical disappearance.
- n. A male homosexual, especially one who is effeminate.
- n. The product of flatulence, or the sound of breaking wind.
- v. To vanish or disappear.
- v. To break wind; to fart.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. offensive term for an openly homosexual man
Probably alteration of puff, braggart, homosexual man, from puff (influenced by poof1).(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)