from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A long alley or covered pathway where strands of material, such as hemp fiber, are laid and twisted into rope.
- n. A long narrow building containing such a pathway.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A long straight narrow lane, or a covered pathway, where long strands of material were laid before being twisted into rope.
- n. Any narrow walkway that has rope handrails.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. A long, covered walk, or a low, level building, where ropes are manufactured.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A long low building or shed prepared for making ropes, and furnished with machinery for that purpose.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. workplace consisting of a long narrow path or shed where rope is made
Sorry, no etymologies found.