from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A box with a perforated top or cover for sprinkling paper with sand.
- n. A box filled with sand, usually placed, in American locomotives, on top of the boiler and in front of the driving-wheel, with a pipe to guide the sand to the rail when the wheels slip owing to frost, wet, etc. See cut under passenger-engine.
- n. A tree, Hura crepitans.
- n. A box to hold a small quantity of foundry-sand for molders' use, placed near the flask or the molding-machine. In use the sand box is often above the molding-machine, so that the sand may be delivered by gravity as required.
- n. In a street-car, a box or other receptacle for holding sand used in sprinkling the rails to obtain a better adhesion for the wheels. It is usually fitted with a delivery-pipe and valve controlled by the motorman.
Sorry, no etymologies found.
GTA IV, with its free-roaming environment, was called a "sand-box" game, and perhaps Red Dead Redemption is the first "dust-box" game.
Play by the rules or go find your own sand-box! ben
She talks of a new way of doing things and reaching out to people who disagree with us, then turns the west wing into a playground sand-box for her husband Bill.
He talks of a new way of doing things and reaching out to people who disagree with us, then turns the House Floor into a playground sand-box during the State of the Union.
JMS is at his best when he's playing in his own sand-box: Babylon 5...
At first blush one might argue that EVE Online with its deep laissez-faire market system and sand-box design that stresses player initiative and "creating your own story" offers a compelling classical liberal narrative.
Anything else happening in SL between avatars is just the sand-box/ black-box.
Also, some devices, such as in the “sand-box” scene, were real.
Swift his “large silver standish, consisting of a large silver plate, an ink-pot, and a sand-box.”
All went well at first; the frame was evenly placed, put together and inserted in the sand-box; but when he came back two days later and lifted the upper half, the sand all fell out and spoilt his mould; for he had paid very little attention to getting it into the completely proper condition for receiving an impression.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.