American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. One that sheds, as a longhaired animal or a molting snake.
- n. A lobster or crab that is shedding or has just shed.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who sheds, pours out, or spills.
- n. In zoology, that which sheds, casts, or molts; especially, a lobster or crab which is shedding its shell, or has just done so and is growing a new one.
- n. An adult female salmon after spawning.
- n. Agent noun of shed; one who sheds.
- n. A crab in the act of casting its shell, or immediately afterwards while still soft.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. One who, or that which, sheds.
- n. (Zoöl.) A crab in the act of casting its shell, or immediately afterwards while still soft; -- applied especially to the edible crabs, which are most prized while in this state.
- n. an attacker who sheds or spills blood
- shed + -er (Wiktionary)
“Already a serial shedder of attachments, she again abandons present circumstances, but this time shifts course and gives pause to consider her past.”
“Manish Swarup/Associated Press Villager Samunder Singh Sharma looks out from his house beside an unused wheat shedder in Munimpur, on the outskirts of New Delhi.”
“So, if he have commerce with her, haply she will conceive by him and her son be a hypocrite, a man of wrath and a shedder of blood.”
“On the other hand, we do have a dog who is a projectile shedder.”
“The artist may be a 'hunter of forms', but the life that the artist engages with is a shedder of forms, dispossessing itself of this or that shape so as to be understood and remade.”
“And this is another spell against which the shedder of blood for ever strives in vain.”
“Bradley was suspicious of every sound he heard, and of every face he saw, but was under a spell which very commonly falls upon the shedder of blood, and had no suspicion of the real danger that lurked in his life, and would have it yet.”
“At any rate the goddess was born — shedder of the lightnings even from her birth.”
“Where is the divine injunction against the shedder of man's blood to rest?”
“And if he beget a son that is a robber, a shedder of blood, and that hath done some one of these things:”
Looking for tweets for shedder.