from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A more direct route than the customary one.
- n. A means of saving time or effort.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A path between two points that is faster than the commonly used paths.
- n. A method to accomplish something that omits one or more steps.
- n. A symlink (symbolic file link); especially, one that appears as an icon.
- n. A keyboard shortcut - a combination of keystrokes that provides easier access to a command or operation
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a route shorter than the usual one
From cut, direct route.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)