from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The ordinal number matching the number 16 in a series.
- n. One of 16 equal parts.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The ordinal form of the number sixteen.
- n. One of sixteen equal parts of a whole.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Sixth after the tenth; next in order after the fifteenth.
- adj. Constituting or being one of sixteen equal parts into which anything is divided.
- n. The quotient of a unit divided by sixteen; one of sixteen equal parts of one whole.
- n. The next in order after the fifteenth; the sixth after the tenth.
- n. An interval comprising two octaves and a second.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Next in order after the fifteenth; being the sixth after the tenth: the ordinal of sixteen.
- Being one of sixteen equal parts into which a whole is divided.
- n. One of sixteen equal parts.
- n. In music: The melodic or harmonic interval of two octaves and a second.
- n. A sixteenth-note.
- n. In early Eng. law. a sixteenth of the rents of the year, or of movables, or both, granted or levied by way of tax.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. one part in sixteen equal parts
- adj. coming next after the fifteenth in position
- n. position 16 in a countable series of things
Sorry, no etymologies found.