from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. One that slugs, as a fighter who delivers hard swinging punches.
- n. Baseball A batter who hits many extra-base hits.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. a boxer who tends to deliver hard punches
- n. a batter who has a high percentage of extra base hits
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One who strikes heavy blows; hence, a boxer; a prize fighter.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who hits hard with the fists; a pugilist.
- n. A form of steam- or air-driven rock-drill which delivers powerful strokes of the drill-bar with the least cushioning effect of steam or air in the actuating cylinder.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a boxer noted for an ability to deliver hard punches
- n. (baseball) a ballplayer who is batting
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Those who've been around Ryan Howard can tell when the Philadelphia slugger is swinging well.
It's your call, guess that Louisville slugger is better than a rolled up newspaper, but I'd still prefer my little Charter Arms Bulldog.
That's a sign the slumping slugger is regaining his stroke.
The San Francisco Giants slugger is five shy of eclipsing Hank Aaron's record and will be in Selig's hometown July 20-22 for a three-game series against the Milwaukee Brewers.
•Josh Gibson: Often called "the black Babe Ruth," Gibson is widely regarded as the greatest slugger from the Negro leagues in the pre-integration era.
The Giants slugger is receiving criticism from fellow players, politicians and fans who claim that his matching of Babe Ruth's career totals are illegitimate.
Athletics 'slugger is batting .360 (27-for-75) with seven homers and 17 RBI in 20 games.
The slugger is so good and the Royals are so bad, he could be in the majors next season.
Six years later, at age 26, the 6-3, 215-pound slugger from the South Side remains grounded in a belief nurtured since he first hit
The former slugger is currently in a drug treatment facility in Citra,
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.