from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To remove surgically the ovaries of (an animal).
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To remove or destroy the ovaries (of an animal) in order that it cannot become pregnant.
- n. Rare spelling of spayard.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- transitive v. To remove or extirpate the ovaries of, as a sow or a bitch; to castrate (a female animal).
- n. The male of the red deer in his third year; a spade.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To castrate (a female) by extirpating the ovaries.
- n. The male red-deer or hart in his third year.
- See spae.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. remove the ovaries of
Middle English spaien, from Anglo-Norman espeier, to cut with a sword, from espee, sword, from Latin spatha; see spathe.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From the Middle English verb spayen. (Wiktionary)
See spayard. (Wiktionary)