from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A set contained within a set.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. With respect to another set, a set such that each of its elements is also an element of the other set.
- n. A group of things or people, all of which are in a specified larger group.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In mathematics, a proper part or the whole of the set: thus, a subset of S is a set every element of which belongs to S.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a set whose members are members of another set; a set contained within another set
From sub- + set (Wiktionary)