from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The layer or bed of earth beneath the topsoil.
- transitive v. To plow or turn up the subsoil of.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The layer of earth that is below the topsoil.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The bed, or stratum, of earth which lies immediately beneath the surface soil.
- transitive v. To turn up the subsoil of.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The under-soil: the bed or stratum of earth or earthy matter which lies immediately under the surface soil, and which is less finely disintegrated and contains less organic matter than that.
- In agriculture, to employ the subsoil-plow upon; plow up so as to cut into the subsoil.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the layer of soil between the topsoil and bedrock
sub- + soil (Wiktionary)