American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Cold cooked rice dressed with vinegar that is shaped into bite-sized pieces and topped with raw or cooked fish, or formed into a roll with fish, egg, or vegetables and wrapped in seaweed.
- n. proscribed A dish, based on Japanese cuisine, the chief ingredient of which is raw fish; sashimi.
- n. A Japanese dish made of small portions of sticky white rice flavoured with vinegar, usually wrapped in seaweed and filled or topped with vegetables or sashimi.
- n. rice (with raw fish) wrapped in seaweed
- From Japanese 鮨, 鮓, 寿司, すし (sushi, originally refers なれずし (narezushi, "rice fermented with raw fish"), later refers 江戸前寿司 (edomae-zushi, "raw fish and rice flavored with rice vinegar")), from すしめし (sushimeshi, "sour rice"). (Wiktionary)
- Japanese. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Our date would involve a dinner of sushi (you know, an aquatic theme, plus after eating sushi with her, I would really like to eat her sushi nudge, nudge, wink, wink.”
“Single grain sushi is sold in plates of 10 or 12 (arranged in a circle with a couple of strips of leek in the middle to form the hands of a clock) and features all the typical sushi, including makimono, tako, tamago, ikura, kohata, anago, ebi, ika, Otoro and kanpachi.”
“Dropping a hunk of it onto your sushi is an American thing.”
“(Wrong season this time, but the sushi is the important part, anyhow!)”
“For those of you not that familiar with Mexico, so-called "sushi" is very popular here but what we are talking about here is akin to touting the virtues of Mexican food at Taco Bell in Peoria.”
“Single grain sushi is not the latest diet fad to hit the country, it’s just the latest item on the menu at Omoroi Sushiya Kajiki, a sushi restaurant with a sense of humor in Fukuoka.”
“We ate our weight in sushi and played with my new mouse.”
“The sushi is always fresh and their udon soups are good.”
“The other sushi is great too, esp. the scallop and tomago (egg).”
“A quiet revival of authentic Japanese sushi is under way in the U.S., and it contains the seeds of a revolution that could make eating sushi both more enjoyable and more ecologically sustainable.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘sushi’.
Everything rice. There are many styles of sushi listed here. For convention's sake, I list them in lower case letters and without a hyphen (inarizushi rather than Inari-zushi).
Culturally defined terms and expressions from the four corners of the world
Favorite designs for shower curtains. Inspired by the list Top 500 SAT Words Shower Curtain by jwjarvis.
vegan food list of basic vegan food or types of vegan food you've had and liked.
( food, cuisine, eating, health, vegan, vegetarian, animal rights, anti-cruelty, no meat, herbivore, s...
Prolagus said: Sigh, I didn't go anywhere. Deadlines are too close. I have to wait until Christmas holidays...
bilby said: Did you find somewhere for your weekend break?
my words. my mind. my gosh.
try not to enjoy it too much.
words that pique my interest either by meaning, pronunciation, or spelling, and words that otherwise tickle my fancy!!
Words that have funny meanings or are just fun to say.
Just what it sounds like. My favorites. Five letters.
Looking for tweets for sushi.